Hoffmaier & Hoffmaier is an NYC-based personal injury law firm focusing on car accidents, slip and fall accidents, medical malpractice, workplace accidents, and more. Our accident attorneys have helped many New Yorkers with their personal injury lawsuits.
NYC Car Accident Attorneys Answer — Texting While Driving Accidents and Injury Claims
Texting while driving is perhaps the most dangerous form of driver distraction. In New York, it is illegal to both drive while talking on a cell phone as well as texting on a phone. Over the years, tickets given to distracted drivers (who were caught texting) have risen quite dramatically. This doesn’t change the fact, however, that thousands of people in the US are killed every year due to distracted drivers who just had to send a text or email, or who just wanted to look at their phones while driving in the bustling NYC streets.
To give you a good picture of the damage, injury, and death involved with texting and driving, here are a few statistics taken from various sources:
- According to the National Safety Council, about 1.3 million motor vehicle accidents are caused by texting behind the wheel
- According to the National Safety Council, eleven teenagers are killed every day in texting-related car accidents
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, drivers are 23 times more likely to crash if texting while driving
- Texting is six times more likely to cause a wreck than driving drunk
- Texting slows your brake reaction speed by 18 percent
- Simply reaching for the cell phone doubles your risk of a crash
If you were injured in an accident due to a negligent driver who was texting while driver, you could be entitled to substantial compensation for the damages, injuries, and expenses incurred. For this reason, it’s essential to contact an experienced and prominent NYC personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
A successful negligence lawsuit may award compensation for the following:
- Medical treatment for injuries
- Cost for property damage repair
- Loss of wages and earning capacity
- Physical/mental pain and suffering
At Hoffmaier & Hoffmaier, we’ve helped hundreds of individuals who sustained serious injuries due to a negligent NYC driver. With our wide network of resources, legal experience, and aggressive, yet professional, litigation strategies, we will relentlessly fight to hold the negligent drivers accountable for their actions.
To get started on your personal injury lawsuit, call the personal injury lawyers at Hoffmaier & Hoffmaier at (212) 777-9400. We offer free, no-obligation consultations, and we are prepared to start fighting for you immediately.