Only one thing is for sure in a slip-and-fall case: slip and fall liability is often hard to establish. However, when taking the right steps and acting early, this kind of case can result in significant payouts for the injured client. In the State of New York, slip and fall accidents rarely go to trial, so the goal is always to get the settlement you deserve before trial costs and time become an issue.
Factors for Compensation
Compensation can vary depending on a wide variety of factors so it’s important to contact a quality lawyer that can really pinpoint the best course of action for your case. Some things that will affect your case are as follows:
1. The severity of your injury or injuries: Typically, payouts will be larger for more significant injuries, especially if the injuries will cause future discomfort or further health concerns.
2. Medical costs: The higher your medical costs, the more compensation you’ll need to request. Conversely, if a client’s medical costs are low, the defendant may argue that injuries were not a major concern at all.
3. Location of slip-and-fall: Was the slip and fall accident on personal or public property? Has anyone else had a similar issue in or around that same location? These will be two important factors for your compensation.
4. Negligence: If your legal team can prove negligence on the defendant, you may receive a higher compensation. For example, if a client fell on a patch of ice that had been subject to slips before, that defendant could be found negligible for not taking care of the ice in some manner.
5. Proof: Clients who suffer slip and fall accidents can and will continue to be compensated, but those that can prove their fall will usually receive a more appropriate sum. Any witnesses or video proof will likely increase the compensation offer.
Compensation in New York
There have been countless slip and fall accidents in New York over the years, and the resulting settlements have been far and wide. In well-documented cases, clients have received $1-2 million settlements for serious injuries incurred during a slip-and-fall situation. On the other hand, some slip and fall cases result in little or no settlement, often a $1,000 or less to recover expenses for medical bills, etc.
The best way to receive adequate compensation for your slip-and-fall accident is to contact a successful and experienced lawyer. Personal injury legal teams can make sure that you take all the right steps towards recovery and reconciliation, helping you get the money and time that you deserve after the trauma you have experienced.
New York Personal Injury Lawyers
If you are ever unfortunate enough to be injured in an accident, you need quality help sooner than later. The team at Hoffmaier & Hoffmaier having been helping New York citizens in these kinds of accidents and injuries for decades and are always interested in taking on new cases with one goal in mind: helping the client get what they deserve. For help with your slip-and-fall injury, contact us today and we’ll make sure you get started on the right path. Call us now at (212) 777-9400 for a free consultation.