There are slip and fall injuries, and then there are big slip and injuries at work. If your injury only requires a band-aid and a pat on the back, you can probably let it go.
If the injury is more serious, you should follow the company rules on reporting injuries. Your report will begin a cycle governed by the business’s risk manager, the workers’ compensation provider, and the company’s insurance coverage.
The process can be very fair. It can make whole your lost time, lost wages, medical bills, and more. But, it can be a long and complicated process frequently putting you into positions where you must make choices you.
So, you may want to think forward, especially if your work has obvious risks.
Should I Hire a New York City Accident Lawyer for a Slip and Fall Injury at Work?
· Negligence: You have the right to make and pursue a workers’ compensation claim, but you may also consider a personal injury lawsuit when a third party is at fault.
If your injury resulted from the negligence or reckless actions of someone else, you may have a legal case. Huffington Post urges, “employers to have well-designed ladders, proper lighting, anti-slip coatings on floors, even flooring, smooth elevator stops, and visible warning signs.”
· Exclusions: “Work-related” slip and fall injuries must meet some criteria. For example, claims of “work-related” may be difficult to defend on your own if the injury happened:
- While traveling
- Following a pre-existing condition
- Because of employee misconduct
- During a lunch break or company event
- While working at home
· Liability: The nature of the slip and fall should decide the liability. A thorough inspection may show that the accident resulted from your own carelessness or negligence. But, where the employer, manager, or situation are at fault, you bear the burden of proof of negligence.
The third party is responsible if there were no warning signs, no corrective maintenance, no training, and so on. The liability may be total or proportionate. But, you need the New York City accident lawyer to gather, verify, and present the evidence.
- Medical Bills: Calculating your own damages will probably shortchange you. Depending on the injury, the damages usually exceed the time lost at work. Medical bills, alone, present complex problems in terms of how and when they are due and need resolution.
- An injury may produce billing from several providers — doctors, specialists, imaging centers, therapists, and more. There are charges you haven’t imagined. For example, doctors charge you to write letters confirming your injury. You need someone to confirm the bills’ accuracy, accelerate their payment, and ensure their coverage.
- Negotiations: You need a representative to make and carry your case. The accident lawyer first establishes communication between the employer and the insurance company.
The lawyer’s experience builds working relationships as a foundation for future meetings, hearings, and discussions. You need someone to speak for you. You need someone who can be your voice. But, you also need someone who tells you the way things are and what you need to do.
- Damages: In any accident, the damages are layered. You will have out-of-pocket expenses. You will have co-pays and deductibles to pay. You may lose work and wages. You may also lose your current job position or miss a shot at promotion.
- Even worse, you may suffer severe pain and trauma, a cost it is difficult to put a figure on.
- Impact: Your lawsuit can force changes at your employer. Your accident lawyer can negotiate changes and improvements in the employer’s behavior, risk management, and safety practices.
Your lawsuit puts the employer or third-party through financial stress that should reshape the employer’s procedures. If punitive damages or litigation make the employer turnaround, it’s worth your commitment.
Yes, You should Hire a New York City Accident Lawyer for a Slip and Fall Injury at Work
Workers’ compensation should cover your medical bills, but it will not permit you to sue for additional damages.
You need an experienced personal injury lawyer to prove the extent of your injuries, the extent of negligence on the part of a third party, and the extent of your pain and suffering.
With the frequency of slip and fall accidents at work and their major contribution to everything from fractures to brain injuries to death, you’d be well advised to carry contact information for your personal injury attorney. To know more about slip and fall accident, contact us today to schedule your appointment.